as america was at their edge of their seats, watching democracy unfold, lots of children were aware something big was happening.
every presidential race is a great civics lesson and training in a biblical worldview.
here are some small ways to help disciple your children through this important time, or for the next.
1. read and tell the children the different presidential candidates and their stances on key issues. try to break it down in simpler terms. ask questions like, "do you think God has something to say about this?"
2. talk about God and his Word. speak of His wisdom and what he says in his Word. read specific scripture that deals with government. we read Daniel 3 and sang burn us up by shane&shane, i felt it was very fitting.
2. watch videos that explain the voting process. our family watched bainpop videos. The kids love moby.
3. watch or watch highlights of the debates. talk about what is going on. talk about God and if the nominee is disagreeing with God's Word. talk about their character and what God has declared to be men and women of integrity.
4. refer back to history and the beginning of democracy. speak of empires that have risen and fallen. read scripture like Daniel 2:21
He changes times and seasons;
he removes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to those who have understanding.
5. set up a mock voting booth at home where the kids can cast their vote and explain the process.
6. once the president has been declared, pray with your children for the country and for wisdom for the new president and his cabinet. pray that Christians will put their hope in Christ and not in this government or any other. remind them that God says to pray for those in government leadership
whether we agree or disagree with them we must pray for their salvation and leadership that we are under.
1 Timothy 2:1-3
First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is good, and it pleases God our Savior.
Let's continue to pray for the church to go and declare Christ crucified.